Wednesday, November 08, 2006

When I wear a poppy, I remember.


In Grade 9 I job shadowed my Father. I pinned a red poppy on my burgundy sweater and began a day that changed my life.

My Dad is a priest. He took me to visit a man at the end of his life. I felt so nervous. I didn't know what to say to this elderly man. It seemed like our lives couldn't be any more separate.

His wife made us tea. We sat together. He told me about his life. He shared old black and white photos of him as a little boy, standing outside a one room school house. He told me about his father and how things were different back then.

I don't remember a lot of what was said. But I do remember feeling so alive. We spent hours in that living room. I felt like I had discovered a treasure.

This man who had seemed so irrelevant taught me to see people.

When he died, his wife-his widow, asked me to sing at his funeral. I had never even been to a funeral.

I stepped to the front of the tiny church. My feet felt glued to the floor. As I began to sing, "Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound.....", my body was filled with electricity. I felt overwhelmed and completely loved. It would be years before I learned to associate this feeling with the presence of the living God.

After the funeral, we went back to the living room where I had met him. I ate marshmallow squares and looked at the family that he loved.

I wish I could have told them how God had used this man, Bill, to shape my life. He taught me to be curious about the lives of the people I meet each day. From Bill, I learned that everyone has a story. That everyone has joys and sorrows. That we're all connected.

When I wear a poppy, I remember.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Thank you Gray for sharing that. I need to get to know more Bills (there are alot in my building)
Thanks :)

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im still learning that God presents people to me as oppurtunities to grow closer to him. You and your family have been a few of those people. You are delightful.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gray
When I read about Bill and how he touched your heart, I think about how your spending time with him touched his heart. It reminds me of all the other people you have been touched by your heart, like Donna and many others from uptown, i'm guessing many more from Brookwood,L'arche, and likely family/friends. Its really cool that God's given you such gifts with Agape, preaching, and writing as your story about Bill is a witness to those who are fortunate to read it. Thanks Gray, it touches our hearts and allows us to look at where God has been in our past molding us.

Thursday, November 09, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

That was lovely! I am glad you met Bill and of course God because it has shaped you into a wonderful, caring and loving person...

Thursday, November 09, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

Aw, thanks friends. I praise the Lord for the gift of you women and men.

Thursday, November 09, 2006  
Blogger Peter said...

It has been over a week since I even thought about blogging. I just made a post to mine and then decided to check out some others. Wow, Bill. I saw Bill every day for the last two weeks of his life. Dispite the incredible pain he was going through he was always welcoming and friendly. I just got a card from his wife the other day. Saw his daughter at something not long ago and we had a great chat. She talked about you singing at the funeral. She started coming to church the first Sunday after Bill's funeral. I remember that day well and you singing in the little church in Hartland. I also remember you and I battling frost bite at the graveside as the wind blew down the St. John River. Do you remember him offering you one of their cats the day you visited?

Friday, November 10, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

I do remember. I wanted one of those cats soooo badly. Thanks for taking me to see Bill that day Dad.

Friday, November 10, 2006  
Blogger Hilary Ladd said...

I missed you yesterday...

Friday, November 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home