Monday, October 23, 2006

If this post was food it might be a salad... little bit of everything tossed together.

so much to say, so little clarity.

I'm in a season of discerning. Discerning God's will for my life at this juncture. Do I continue with L'Arche? Do I pursue another full time ministry? Do I sit on my bum and solve sudoku puzzles for the next 6 months?

I'm not gonna lie, the third option is where I'm leaning at this point. But I'd only do the easy puzzles so that I'd feel like a super genius. Which is neither here nor there because I'm not convinced that this is the option that would honour God. (Though I guess I'm open to hearing otherwise.)

Those of you who know me know that I am a compulsive self-analyzer. ( Now the rest of you know it too....later I'll think about this and decide if it was a good idea to tell you, then I'll ponder my love of mini-sips, and then I'll spend probably spend some time thinking about the way the Dixie Chicks have weaseled their way into my daily soundtrack, then I'll figure out if this has anything to do with the way I've been craving fudge.)

Anyway, this constant analyzing means that in a season of discerning my mind is working 24/7. Usually on things other than the Dixie Chicks and Mini-Sips. Sometimes I think if you could smell emotional states mine would smell like an long dormant heater being turned on for the first time in the fall. Like burning dust.

I find that my brain gets so fried from thinking that I lose the steam I had for seeking God. And sometimes I'm so busy thinking, that I forget to include Him in my thoughts. I forget where I'm supposed to be directing the swirling mass of wonder that is my mind.

So I want to share with y'all something that I've found really helpful in those times ( like now) when my brain-pot has boiled dry.

Prayer beads.

I hope y'all are still with me. I'm not talking about something new-agey, or multi-faithy.

You see a friend got a set as a gift a while back. When I read the brochure on "Anglican Prayer Beads" that came with them I thought they sounded pretty neat and so I made my self a set.

I have found that moving my fingers along this string of beads repeating a simple prayer or scripture really helps me to stay focused and get quiet. Obviously there is nothing mystical about this, it's really quite logical. It's the same idea as a breath prayer.
I don't use beads all the time, but when I do I find that I am more conscious of directing my thoughts to God. So if you're looking for more info, instructions on making your own set, or prayers to use, check out the link below.

http://www.kingofpeace.org/prayerbeads.htm

If the beads don't interest you... maybe this will!


[print version]



Visit http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/kids/ for more puzzles, solutions, hints, books and other resources.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Wow, you weren't kidding were you? That was a very hodge podge post. But in a weird way it all fit together.

Monday, October 23, 2006  
Blogger Chris Burke said...

love it, i just love the mess of topics, it's awesome, we need to be messy, nobody said this life would be clean. I guess if i had to pick one of the things to interest me, it would be the suduko or however it's spelled.... it doesnt interest me because i like to do them.. it interests me because they make me realize just how dumb i am, that my co workers 6 year old son can do the complicated ones, and i cant even do the easiest of them.... grrrrr.... if you decide to start looking for a new job, one of our staff is finished here in may or june... i'm telling all my CA friends to send resumes in hopes that SOMEONE i love gets the job.. it would be so cool to have one of you guys here working with me.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006  
Blogger Hilary Ladd said...

Yeah Sudoku! You know...I totally love thought processes like this (I actually have them quite often, although somehow they don't come out quite as eloquently as that..props!) Either way, God created our brains. Imagine if we used more than the supposed 10%. We'd be doomed. I often have to do something while I'm praying..like the dishes, or cleaning, or doodling..otherwise I don't pay attention. Seems ironic. But somehow it works.
Keep it up!
LOVE+

Thursday, October 26, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...suddenly seriously considering the beads idea. Losing focus can be an easy thing sometimes...I dont know what makes me lose focus more, being busy or overly slacked. Do you remember Mr.Juicy's from McCains?

Friday, October 27, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer said...

yes, I remember Mr. Juicy's from McCains but couldnt remember what they were called. I love those. THe red one was my Favorite I think it was Raspberry flavored.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home