Sunday, October 01, 2006

Transition

Do you ever get tired of being in a constant state of flux?

Once I heard the teenage years described as "a tumultuous re-definition". I like that. Call me crazy but I don't think you have to be a teenager to have a tumultuous re-definition.

In fact I might be having one right now. no wait.....righhhhhhht now. yup there it is.

It's like I'm still walking the same path, same goal. I'm just wearing a different outfit. Humming a different tune. And carrying a head of lettuce, staring quizzically at it, like, "What the Heck?"

The preacher at Uptown tonight said lots of good things. Here's what hit me between the eyes.

Life is Insecure.

I'm not a great swimmer. When I was little I took swimming lessons at the Aquatic Centre every week. Sometimes as a "treat" our life guard would let us go off the giant water slide. This was NOT a treat for me, in fact I found it terrifying. (But I was SO not going to say anything because I had a crush on the life guard-who told me that I looked like Princess Lea from Star Wars.)

So I began by climbing some very large stairs, trying not to look down. I'd position my shaking little body in the tepid stream of chlorine water and push off. I'd often fall over or get stuck (probably because of the tension of my terrified little muscles). Eventually I'd see the end in sight. My heart would leap into my throat, making it hard to breath just when that was fairly crucial. And then the drop. Like one of those falling dreams only real. I'd hit the water after a 10 foot drop....which usually hurt. And then the really scary part. the Water.

I was plunged way too far into the water. I'd flail and try and struggle to figure out which way way up, the whole time making sure that my bathing suit was where it should be, oh yeah and fighting the urge to suck in a lung full of water. The not knowing which way is up part was always the worst thing.

Life's like that. Insecure.

But the truth is that there's a life guard who promises to stick by us. Things get kind of scary. We get turned around, but God is faithful and true. He'll never leave us or forsake us. And he promises the we "can do all things through Christ who strengthens [us]".

We're insecure. But He is Secure.

"Little ones to him belong. They are weak, but He is Strong. Yes, Jesus Loves me"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Gray, your post pretty much hits me in the heart, i feel like i'm treading water, I know to trust God, yet there's part of me that is terrified about what will happen within this next month...
I sort a feel like i'm sitting on that street corner.

Monday, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Adam O said...

Tumultuous re-definition... sounds quite like me. And I am not a teenager anymore. Hitting the old 2-3 and still going through a re-definition kind of sucks. It is also kind of rocks.
Mainly because God gets to take my life apart, and put it back together. And I know that God will put it back together a little bit better, and a little bit more in order, than it was to begin with.
So here is a cheers to tumultuous re-definition!

Monday, October 02, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

Reed, I do know. And it means an aweful lot to me. Thank you.

Paul, hang in there.


Adam, I agree.

Monday, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Chris Burke said...

i dont even know what tumultuous re-definition is, but it sounds cool, I'll take 2.

Monday, October 02, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm so grateful that we have a life guard because sometimes I feel like you did in the water "like I am flailing around" and struggling and begin to think there is no hope and just when that happens, the life guard comes and pulls me up enough so that I am above water. And sometimes once he starts pulling me up, I start flailing again because I am scared and I don't have enough trust in him. Therefore I begin to sink but he never lets me and is always making sure I don't sink. But when I am ready and willing to trust him, that is when he pulls me right out of the water...PTL

I am also super gald that our life guard is ALWAYS on duty!!

P.S. I think you are so wonderful with words and the way you always have a story for whatever it is your talking about is just great...I love you!!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I feel like God is leading me deeper into the waters...constant changes. But he's always on duty.
Hey, I just pictured Jesus wearing a lifeguard shirt with a boogie board...hmmm.

~Zach

Tuesday, October 03, 2006  
Blogger A.E.B said...

I remember that slide!

hehe boogie board

Friday, October 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Chris...Tumultuous re-definition???/ lol...sounds cool.

Saturday, October 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home