Saturday, October 07, 2006

Know what happens if you put a Duck in your Armpit?

I do.

Sadly, not from experience.

My Brother, Jesse, is in his second year of Forestry at The Hugh John Fleming Center in Fredericton. This last week they have been banding ducks. Last night Jesse was explaining how easy ducks are to band because they are so visual. If they can't see, they can't function.

All you have to do is put the duck's head in your arm pit, making it impossible for them to see what's happening and then they just give up and go limp. Apparently if you band at night all you have to do is flip them over...cuz it's dark.

On this Thanksgiving weekend, when I'm attempting to be more thankful than usual, I am thankful to be unlike a duck.

God has built us differently. Even if we can't see, we can still function. It might not be smooth, but it's possible. The same holds true spiritually. Even when we've let Satan stuff us in his metaphorical armpit, though it's dark and kinda stinky, we don't need to give up and go limp.

So this Thanksgiving I'm thinking about Victory. Christ's victory over the darkness, over sin, over the devil.

1 Corinthians 15:54b-58

"Death has been swallowed up in victory."

"Where, O death, is your victory?
Where, O death, is your sting?"


The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to
God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.


Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you.
Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your
labor in the Lord is not in vain.


I am thankful for Christ's victory over the Armpit!

16 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

haha... I love Jesse, & I love ducks... they are so cute. So are you... kiss kiss

Saturday, October 07, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

Thanks for your prayer Reed. I'm 100% fine.

For those who may not have heard, I was rear ended last Thursday. I was a little stiff and sore for a day or so, but I'm A-ok now! Praise the Lord I was the only one in the car. And the prayers of folk really made a tangible difference for me, which is something to be thankful for.

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

Reed-I do think your puns are hilarious...I'm sure that's partially why we get along so well!

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

In the words of one wise person we both know....

"I'm liking it"

You never cease to amaze me Gray Gillies with your never ending sermon illustrations!!

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

Thanks Jen!

Recently, some one suggested that I start a book of metaphors and illustrations.

(graymatter illustration #58)

Some times I dream about baking a cake. Occasionally I actually bake one. But dreaming about the cake is so much easier and sometimes so much sweeter than the actual cake.

Moral: No book

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you and reed should go halves on a book
a cookbook with puns

Sunday, October 08, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

Paul, you don't make any sense whatsoever!!!

Monday, October 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gray can cook, well i've had her pizza, popcorn, cookies, cookie dough and I was there when we made the thing at uptown, though for the life of me I can't remember what it was, though I do remember the pictionary....
Reed can bbq. and Reed has great puns, and even the ones that are iffy Gray laughs at....

Monday, October 09, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

So, basically if Reed wrote a book and I provided a CD laugh-track to play while you read...that would be sure to sell millions!?!

Monday, October 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

millions might be alittle expectant....

Tuesday, October 10, 2006  
Blogger Karen said...

that was really good Gray. i am thankful that Jesus has the victory tooo! :) God Bless

Wednesday, October 11, 2006  
Blogger A.E.B said...

Ducks are a really big part of jesse's life now. Did you know that if you see the number on the tag of the ducks, you can call a number and get 100$?

Friday, October 13, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

Wow, that's great Andrea. Now following ducks around the Eiffel Tower until you get lost can be a career and not just a hobby!

You're cute.

Friday, October 13, 2006  
Blogger A.E.B said...

I do plan to become fabulously rich in a field somehow related to ducks....100$ at a time..

Saturday, October 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

live on a major migration route and live in a tent....

Saturday, October 14, 2006  
Blogger A.E.B said...

awesome!

Sunday, October 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home