Wednesday, November 22, 2006

if life had a speed limit....


...would I obey it?

probably not.

When I first started driving I could NOT drive above 30km. Well. I probably could have, I was just afraid.

Thanks to some very patient driving tutors, I improved. And before long I could comfortably do the speed limit. Eventually I even drove on the highway. My family always joked about how we had to plan to leave 10 minutes earlier if I was driving because I insisted on driving the speed limit.

Since I've had my license I've done quite a bit of driving. I drive everyday, often for a couple hours. Dropping people off, picking people up, dropping off prescriptions, picking up milk.

Over this past year it has become easier and easier to do the speed limit...and then to push it a little. Sometimes I'm not paying attention and I speed. Sometimes I AM paying attention...and I speed. I'm not talking " The Fast and the Furious" speeding, but more than 110km.

Here's my point: Life's like that too.

I speed.

Sometimes by accident-I forget to check the internal speedometer. I take my eyes off the prize. I forget to "seek first...".

Sometimes on purpose-I push my limits. I feel like I need to push it. Life gets busy. I choose to focus on be efficient instead of being balanced.

I'm past mid point in my week off.

Have I obeyed the speed limit? Don't ask.

Because then I'd have to tell you that I'm not sure.

And really if I'm not sure, I probably haven't.

I'm having a great time, seeing family and friends. I've done a lot of sleeping. I've seen "Nacho Libre" 4 times. Like John Lennon said, "Time you enjoyed wasting, wasn't wasted". And that's true; externally, I'm rested.

But what about my inner being? That's what I'm not so sure about.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm happy your just driving

now, if you wanted to speed up to my sisters and give me a lift back to saint john tomorrow, i would be greatful.....

How was nacho Libre ?

Wednesday, November 22, 2006  
Blogger Jen said...

Oh man do I ever speed...literaly and internally. And that is something I KNOW I have to work. I don't let myself "slow down & take in the scenery" and I feel like that is what God has been telling me to do but I just can't bring myself to do it...Good thing we have a patient God that is all I can say...haha

Wednesday, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If we are using the analogy of driving, my life would be the chaos of short cuts, and the bumps and holes of those famous back roads. Speed limits for me are a guideline. One i try to following but I know that sometimes you have to speed up or slow down as the situation calls for it. More often then not i need to slow down and think more about the journey than the destination because i may miss some very important signs along the way.

Thursday, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Susan said...

I don't YET drive, but I laugh cause I am So freaked behind the wheel, when I do get to practice! Anyway, internally I know I speed, and I have been doing that alot lately, so thanks for the reminder! I am glad you are enjoying your week off, and I pray that you will begin to be refreshed internally as well as refreshed and renewed physically!

Thursday, November 23, 2006  
Blogger Erin said...

Thanks for this.

Friday, November 24, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a really great post. I think finding that internal speed limit is hard...especially when your busy spinnin the wheels for a laugh as I like to do from time to time. lollzzz

Saturday, November 25, 2006  
Blogger Naomi said...

speaking of driving, I think I saw you the toehr day. In a silver Echo perhaps?

Tuesday, November 28, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Unfortunately when you drive the 401 the speeding is a little like the Fast and the Furious type. Our motto up here is "I'm just Keeping up with the Traffic" Sometimes that means going way too fast and other times WAY to slow. I have realised that on the 401 once a car has been passed I race ahead to catch the next one.. ooopps.. Im sure if I want to be totally honest.. I like it that way. Driving behind a tractor on the 62.. is NOT nice. I know this is a deep blog but I just thought I should tell you about my driving.. remember the time we went through the intersection by the Bulk Barn! I have improved since then. LOL

Wednesday, November 29, 2006  
Blogger gray said...

yup, that was probably me in the silver echo. I see nat all the time in an ambulance perhaps? Not that I'm accident prone. I mean I'm in another car, I just see him in an ambulance...

Wednesday, November 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home